Thursday, July 12, 2007

Everything Google

I was wondering in the beginning of this class why we needed to sign up for a Gmail account. Now I know! I'm considering discontinuing my yahoo address (I've had for 7 years) and switching to the gmail account full time. With Gmail you don't just get an email account... you get the whole package!
Google Docs - Just like Word but with the power to access your documents anywhere! No more having to save onto a CD or not being able to reach a doc because it's saved on your desktop at home. There has been countless times where I have emailed docs to school to open there. With Gmail, I can eliminate that step. I also loved the Revisions tab. You can see all the revisions made on your docs: Revision 32 made 23 minutes ago by Me. I like the fact you can share your doc with classmates or in the future, with other teachers/collaborators.
Excel – I love being able to access spreadsheets right from your Gmail account as well.
Google for Educators – This website was an exceptional resource for tools for your classroom, activities and maps. http://www.google.com/educators/p_docs_spreadsheets.html
Google Reader – Is an excellent way to keep track of comments and changes.
Google Notebook - I installed the Notebook quickly and went on to save all my bookmarks in my notebook: Wiki spaces, WebCT, Blogger, UMASS email, WISER, Citizen’s, etc. So now if I am away from home, I can access these addresses easily. I love technology!

1 comment:

SIGRID METHOT said...

Allison,
I too have had my Yahoo account forever, and am considering switching to Google full-time, for everything. I am not too fond of the gmail interface, the screen is kind of confusing to me, the all of the other Google features make the switch seem like a great idea.

Sigrid